21 December 2017

A Collection of Chess Logos

If someone had to write a song about chess logos, it might be something like,

Ninety-six logos of chess on the site,
Ninety-six logos of chess!
Take one down and pass it around,
Ninety-six logos of chess on the site!

I might have overlooked one or two, but I counted the logos on my World Chess Championship site (see link on the sidebar) and came up with 96. Here they are in barely viewable format.

Honestly speaking, they aren't all logos. There are a number of banners, like the seven to the left of the top row (A1-A7), and I invented a couple of those myself.

The logo causing the current ruckus, the one that I mentioned in World Championship Branding on my other blog, is in the middle of the bottom row (G8). See, for example, World Chess Championship's 'Kama Sutra' logo criticised (bbc.com).

My favorite logo is probably the panda shown last on the fourth row (D14). It was created for the fifth leg ('Beijing, VII, 2013') of the 2012-2013 Grand Prix. Many of the most interesting logos were created for women's events, like the 2011-2012 FIDE Women's Grand Prix (fourth row, D2-D7).

As for the lack of logos from the 20th century, I've never made any systematic attempt to find them. I simply collect various images as I create the corresponding pages. The first event where I used a logo appears to be 1995 Kasparov - Anand PCA Title Match : Highlights (G9).

No comments: