07 July 2014

Kasparov TMER: Early Games

Continuing with Kasparov TMER: Early Years, where I identified seven early Kasparov games not on my TMER (*) file, I created the games and merged them with the other 93 games to make a PGN file mirroring the content of the book, Kasparov on Garry Kasparov, Part I: 1973-1985.

Are the seven games really new or have I simply fallen behind? I looked at Kasparov's games on Chessgames.com and found two of the seven. In his book, Kasparov identifies himself as 'G.Weinstein' in his early games. I checked if the other games were registered under that name, but found nothing.

Kasparov's talent shines through even his early games. What would you play in the following position?

G.Weinstein - B.Kantsler
Spartak Junior Championship, 1975

White to play

I'll add the answer in a comment.

(*) TMER = Tournament, Match, and Exhibition Record

1 comment:

Mark Weeks said...

The 12-year old Kasparov played 20.Bg5. He later awarded the move '!!' in his notes to the game and wrote, 'A sudden, purely intuitive Bishop sacrifice. Of course, I did not see all its consequences, but I sensed that White should be alright: his pieces are so well placed! At that time I did not yet realise that most of my opponents had a different attitude to material.'